Whether you live in the dorms or off campus, YOU can have an impact on sustainability at Mizzou. Follow some of the tips below start reducing your carbon footprint.
- Use fluorescent light bulbs instead of incandescent bulbs
- Set your computer to go into “sleep mode” when it’s not in use
- Unplug your cell phone charger when your phone isn’t charging
- Use power strips as least as possible
- Use mugs and dishes that you can wash instead of using disposable plates and utensils
- Bike or walk to campus whenever possible
- If you don’t have a bike, try carpooling or using the bus system!
- Shop at farmers markets and eat locally grown foods
- Use a tote bag for grocery shopping instead of a plastic bag
- Buy used furniture
- Recycle in your apartment or house
- Make your own, fun recycling bins if your landlord doesn’t provide one!
BATHROOM & LAUNDRY
- Turn off the faucet while brushing your teeth
- Wash FULL loads of laundry so you don’t waster water and energy
- Wash clothes in cold water
- Air dry whenever possible
- Use refillable binders or your laptop instead of notebooks
- Use recycled paper
- Check out the cool Sustain Mizzou recycled notebooks at the bookstore!
- Take notes on both sides of paper